Spokane Valley Wa lies along both banks of the beautiful Spokane River. Nature lovers can enjoy the river within minutes anywhere in the city. Spokane Valley‚Äôs central location makes it the ideal jumping off point to enjoy outdoor adventures throughout the Inland Northwest. Fish, paddle or raft any of the 76 lakes and rivers that surround Spokane Valley. World-class skiing can be found at five regional resorts and 260 days of sunshine a year enhance your swing at dozens of public and private golf courses within a short drive from Spokane Valley. Bike, walk, or stroll the Centennial Trail, a paved trail that stretches for 37 miles to the Idaho border and beyond. Hike through 55 acres at Mirabeau Point Park. There is something to do in every season.
Spokane Valley is a city in Spokane County, Washington, United States, and the largest suburb of Spokane. It is located east of Spokane, west of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and surrounds the town of Millwood on three sides. The city incorporated as the City of Spokane Valley on March 31, 2003. The Washington State Office of Financial Management estimates the city‚Äôs population as 94,919 as of 2015. Spokane Valley is named after the valley of the Spokane River, in which it is located. Before becoming an incorporated city, the area was and still is referred to as "The Valley" by residents of the Spokane Metro Area.For thousands of years, the Spokane Valley area was populated by members of the Upper Band of the Interior Salish Indians, calling themselves ‚ÄúSn-tutuul-i‚ÄĚ, the meaning of which is not known. In about 1783, fur traders from the North West Company began traveling through the area. They called these Indians the ‚ÄúSpokanes‚ÄĚ which has been interpreted as meaning ‚ÄúChildren of the Sun.‚ÄĚ The Spokanes were a peaceful people, on friendly terms with neighboring tribes and later the fur traders and missionaries who came to the area. They fished salmon, hunted game, and ate camassia roots and berries they gathered.
Despite their many years of acceptance of the white settlers, and the calming influence of Chief Garry (sometimes Spokan Garry), the Spokanes protested the loss of their lands by joining in the Indian Rebellion of 1857. The final battle, in 1858, culminated in the Spokane Valley with the destruction of over 800 of their horses, their food, and teepees. The Spokanes were eventually forced from the lands of their ancestors to a reservation north of the Spokane River, just west of the Spokane area.
The first permanent white settler in the Spokane Valley was a retired French-Canadian trapper, Antoine Plante, who built a small cabin near the Spokane River in 1849. Plante ran a small Hudson's Bay Company trading post in the home he shared with his American Indian wife and family. In 1850, Plante constructed and operated the first ferry across the Spokane River, the only means of crossing the river in the area. It was used for transportation across the river by Fort Colville military personnel, U.S. Army surveyors, and miners traveling to western Montana and southeastern British Columbia.
In 1862, A. C. "Charley" Kendall established a store on the north side of the Spokane River. A bridge to cross the river at Kendall's store was soon built by Joe Herring, Timothy Lee, and Ned Jordan in 1864. A small community, known as Spokane Bridge, began to build up near the bridge. M. M. Cowley took over the holdings of Charley Kendall in 1872, including the bridge, a trading post and a log hotel.
Interestingly, the history of the settlement of the Spokane Valley predates the history of the city of Spokane, Washington. Spokane Valley holds many of the ‚Äúfirsts‚ÄĚ for the Spokane area. In addition to being home to the area‚Äôs first settler, Antoine Plante, the Spokane Valley had the first business and first ferry in 1850; the first store (1862) and bridge (1864); the first house (1866); and the first post office (1867). All these firsts occurred before the 1873 arrival of James N. Glover, considered the founding father of Spokane.